[TenTec] What Radio?

Frank Kirschner KF6E at mail.com
Tue Aug 30 04:28:09 PDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Stuart Rohre
Sent: 08/29/11 11:12 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: [TenTec] What Radio?

 Hello, The quandry of what radio is faced by us all. I rely on Sherwood Engineering reports to grade the receivers, and the Yaecomwoods invariable pale compared to Elecraft K3, K2, and Ten Tec offerings.  Stuart,

 You might want to check the list again. The Yaesu FTdx-5000D is at the top, above the K3 and all the Ten Tec rigs:

 http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

 Besides receiver specs, the '5000 runs 200 watts out, which often means the difference between a manageable QSO and none, compared with 100 watts.

 Other than that, egonomics, reliability, and company support are important criteria for selecting a rig. There's no clear winner here, but Ten Tec has a slight edge in customer support.

 If you're looking for price/performance ratio, the Eagle and the Kenwood TS-590S are probably the best choices at the moment. Performance is similar, but the '590S comes with the filters and built-in tuner, so fully equipped, it's cheaper.

 The ultimate decision is, as you state, getting your hands on the rig and operating it. If it "sounds right" and "feels right," you'll probably be happy with it.

 I have an FTdx-5000MP, an Omni V, and a Kenwood TS-480HX. I like them all, and each has its special attraction. (I also have a Centurion amp, and it's great.)

 73,
 Frank
 KF6E