[TenTec] What Radio?

CSM(r) Gary Huber glhuber at msn.com
Tue Aug 30 09:50:18 PDT 2011

I agree with Jim regarding the radio environment you and your radio
equipment operate in. Still those radios with 80db or better dynamic range
at 2KHz are competitive when the operator understands the need to reduce the
RF gain and how to operate the receiver in the midst of strong signals and
phase noise. I'm using a OMNI-VII with a N4PY sub-receiver mod (FLEX-1500)
for a panadapter. The panadapter really provides a lot of information
regarding signals and noise in and near the QMNI-VII's pass-band.

Like Jim, I also have a neighbor about 1000 feet away, Keith, AC9S who
chases DX and contests. Frequently we are on the same band in the same
pile-up each running 1.5KW amps and unless we are within the filter
pass-band of our receivers we just do not hear each other. I'm usually
running a OMNI-VII (with all the mechanical filters) while Keith may run a
TR-7 or ORION-II. He has other radios but we've not tested them.

73 es DX,

Gary - AB9M