[TenTec] OT: Old QSTs, CQs, etc.

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Fri Dec 30 17:31:10 PST 2011

On 12/30/2011 7:22 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:

> BTW - CDs and DVDs aren't forever.  The media has a finite life, unless
> you pay the price for archival-quality media.

		Ah... yes...   But, I, also, have a finite life and from
		what I read I will be gone, or lose my memory, long
		before my CDs lose their memory.     My wife claims
		I have lost my mind already !

			(no smiley face... because it is TRUE !)

> currently working on
> converting all of my VHS tapes that were never available in DVD format
> to DVD, because who knows how much longer VHS players will be manufactured?

		Me too !!   Also, for the same reason you mention, above,
		that the tape media are not particularly archival quality.

> I'm using redundant hard drives as my storage medium, and may look into
> some of these cloud services for storage.

		I have external hard drives I store in my fireproof file
		cabinets, while I will resist the "cloud" as long as possible.
		I like having my own equipment, with my own data, in
		my sole control,  and I am not even one of those paranoid
		conspiracy guys... I just don't like the idea of having to
		pay a huge price to the cable or phone companies to
		retrieve my stuff.   After awhile, they will be charging us
		to store and retrieve our stuff.   I should not have to
		subscribe to my own collection of crapola.

Just MY take...     Happy trails.