[TenTec] OT Kind of. ?? about wide band antennas

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Thu Feb 3 14:37:45 PST 2011

And when you fatten the antenna you only need to fatten the ends for
most of the effect. One time I fanned out the ends of an 80 meter dipole
with great effect. Added a second wire about 6' from the ends and spread
the two ends about 6' with a bamboo pole. Moved the resonant frequency
down from 4.05 to 3.7 and now the SWR was under 2:1 over most of the
band. That was an inverted V so getting to the ends was easy. Before the
change the Collins S-line at that MARS station wouldn't tune to that
antenna at 3.6. The Viking 500 didn't mind it though.

73, Jerry, K0CQ