[TenTec] Who is the US Distributor for Cramolin?

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Wed Feb 9 15:16:00 PST 2011

The spray can of Cramolin R5 that I have says "packaged for Caig Labs."
I have had decent results but don't like spraying the insulation around
a contact with it. So I've been using a dropper bottle of Caig D100L for
a decade or two with good results.

Back in the days of turret TV tuners, there were dozens of contact
cleaners including foams that stayed behind. But the best I recall from
those days was a GC product called Contactene (I just looked it up in a
vintage GC catalog, I didn't remember it that long) that appeared by
smell to be mostly carbon tet with just enough of some oil to give it a
yellowish color. But when I was a young ham, carbon tet was a common
fire extinguisher filler, even sometimes packaged in clear glass globes
that the user was to throw at the fire smashing the glass to release the
liquid. Those are crystal clear. My dad had one and I probably have it
stashed in his stuff now. I gathered mercury from used hearing aid
batteries (with tubes, and AA mercury for heater power there were many
available) and at one point had a medicine bottle showing about 4 ounces
liquid volume, but must have weighed 5 or 6 pounds. And under the entry
"Mercury," the World Book Encyclopedia of my youth showed a man in bib
overhauls floating on an open vat of mercury as if it wasn't
significantly toxic.

So my question is, "Has our avoidance of these allegedly harmful
chemicals improved our life and does ALL of the world follow suit or do
they keep on using them at low cost?"

73, Jerry, K0CQ