[TenTec] Argonaut 516 Transmit into a short - stupid

Scott Zastoupil szastoupil at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 13:24:25 PST 2011

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I disassembled the amp section and did some troubleshooting and found that one of the finals is blown.  It required the base of each transistor to be lifted and tested with a diode checker.  I also checked the SWR bridge diodes and they are ok.  So the plan is to order the $80 pair and move on.  I'm glad that I don't run a kw of power.

I contacted TenTec and their technician was very informative and helpful in confirming my diagnosis and suggested test procedure once I get the replacement parts.  Unfortunately they do not sell the transistors outright and only for their servicing.

Scott, KB0KFX