[TenTec] Omni 6 Logic Board Failure

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson geraldj at weather.net
Mon Jan 17 14:05:29 PST 2011

Given a working Omni VI to compare too (and borrow some parts from) it
appears to be fairly practical to keep working though my first attack
would be to connect around the DSP to minimize the work required to
recover from a problem. But FIRST I'd replace the battery and do a major
reset. It certainly could be a complex puzzle to work out, but things
like the battery, cleaning the contacts on the EPROM socket (and any
other sockets on the control board) along with spares for the other plug
in chips would be in order. But somewhere in that process I'd replace
the electrolytics on the board remembering how the Corsair and Corsair
II display boards mess up when the electrolytics go bad. Up to this
point these are relatively low tech things that can mess up a computer
based control board. After that it gets messy but those low tech things
are common.

I recall that for some radios with sockets for EPROMs, the approved
factory fix was to remove the socket and solder the chips to the board
because they had chosen a poor quality socket.

73, Jerry, K0CQ