[TenTec] Omni VI 1st IF Narrow CW Filter Enable?

CSM(r) Gary Huber glhuber at msn.com
Mon Jan 24 17:51:11 PST 2011

After looking at a 564 schematic it does appear that Y2 (standard 2.4kHz)
could be replaced with a 9 MHz 1.8kHz or 500Hz filter for the roofing filter
and N1 and N2 (Y3 and Y4) can be 9MHz CW filters as well. If I understand
the cascade scheme, Y2 can have Y3 or Y4  cascaded with any of four filters
in the passband (6MHz) IF.

The gain jumpers JG1 and JG2 are set in the LOW (jumper) for TT 218 or 220
(SSB) filters while the 216, 217 and 219 (CW) filters require high gain.

In my OMNI-VI+ , I originally had 500Hz in N1 and 250Hz in N2 using the
standard 2.4kHz filter at Y2 along with the passband filters of 2.4kHz,
1.8kHz, 500Hz, and 250Hz but found after several years that I seldom used
the 250Hz filter in N2 and at the same time wanted to have some wider choice
on CW and a narrower option for SSB. I bought a 1.8kHz SSB filter for N1,
moved the 500Hz filter to N-2 and sold the 250 Hz (9MHz) filter.  At that
point I just used the N2/500 or 250 passband combinations for digging out
the weak CW DX (S-1 to S-2) 2kHZ from their huge pile-ups.  I may have lost
some CW selectivity but the overall flexibility of the radio for SSB and
Digital DXing was greatly improved.... your opinion may be different as well
as your needs.

73 es DX,

Gary - AB9M