[TenTec] Corsair II DDS VFO

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 19:22:54 PDT 2011

>> I want to know if you can get "right on" a given frequency to call a
net?

Some guys will squawk if you are 20 cycles off net, but my Corsair II DDS is as stable and repeatable as my OMNI VI+. It also tunes as finely with slow movements. And when you want a big QSY it senses the knob turning faster and gets you there quicker than OMNI VI+ would.

Sometimes it amazes me that I would need to go "Back to the Future" to get the radio I really want.

I was at HRO on Saturday and experienced TS590, FT2000, FT5000, FT950, FT450, TS2000 and IC7600 on A/B switch. Aside from FT2K which I own, I did not like any of them at any price. And they are NOT cheap! FT2K is decent because it has an analog offshoot from the receiver strip. It has no digital manipulation and real old fashioned AGC.

DSP is great for rearranging BITS, but it destroys the natural AGC physics and receiver sound if you are used to analog. I LOVE the Corsair II form - a dedicated big knob or switch for every function - no computer display to decipher. The audio is wonderful under all conditions without 100 small adjustments. I really wish EAGLE or OMNI VII had been presented in this kind of a package but the trend not only for TenTec but all the others is not headed that way - guess I am too old school for my own good! ;-)

Re: [TenTec] Corsair II DDS VFO
from [Greg S] [Permanent Link][Original]

I want to know if you can get "right on" a given frequency to call a net?

Thanks!
Greg, KC8HXO