[TenTec] Heil PROSET PLUS IC with HC4 on Omni VII?

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Sun Nov 6 20:07:41 PST 2011

Unless I miss my guess, and I have tested A LOT of inexpensive headsets
over the years... those are $5 Chinese made headsets, much like what
some of the other vendors sell - it is a rather popular set - but it is
NOT NEARLY THE HIGHER QUALITY OF THE KOSS OR YAMAHA SETS PREVIOUSLY
MENTIONED.   I KNOW... I PURCHASED 40 INEXPENSIVE HEADSETS ON EBAY AND
TESTED THEM,  all with a view to put some of the better ones as back up
models at the contest shack.   Nothing like having a set go bad during a
contest...and I am tired of loaning MY backups to the other guys. I am
the rookie, but I had to supply two backup headsets, a microphone and
PTT cable, and a foot switch on a 10 rig station... like the old farts
were PREPARED ?!!??!?

HOWEVER... IN ANY CASE....

YOU MUST HAVE A CORRESPONDING ADAPTER TO MATE IT properly TO THE RIG.

These adapters put the mic input, and the 2.5-8 volts of bias voltage on
the right pins, and usually include a jack for a PTT switch, also on the
right pins,  and THEY ALSO INCLUDE A RESISTOR BETWEEN HOT AND GROUND AND
ALSO AN INLINE CAPACITOR,  one of which reduces the voltage (usually too
hot from the rig,  8 v instead of the 2.5 - 5 volts the headset really
looks for... like a sound card voltage supplied on the ring of the mic
plug...)   and the capacitor retards RF getting into the mic.

You can also include a larger resistor or a potentiometer pad to further
reduce the HOT output these microphone have... or use the attenuator
adapter I mentioned previously.

Hooking these headsets up directly to the rig, with bias voltage at 8 to
10 volts as supplied by most rigs, will make it a very HOT mic, indeed.
  Your ALC will not like it (it has too little dynamic room too exercise
in)  if you have to turn the mic input down to 2 or 3 percent.

Just MY take.