[TenTec] Omni VI+, VII, or Orion for next rig. Can't decide

Barry N1EU barry.n1eu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 12:28:33 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP <Rick at dj0ip.de> wrote:
> Only the most serious contester in the busiest of contests would be slightly unhappy with the OM VII.
> If you are not in that category, then don't worry about the upward conversion of the OM VII.

In addition to contesting, I would characterize the weakness of the
upward converting receivers as the inability to get up close to a very
strong station in order to work weak dx that is adjacent to the strong
station.  This effect is amplified on the low bands, especially 160M,
where there is a staggering difference in amplitude between strong
domestic stations and the weak dx.  In this regard there is a big
difference in performance between either the Orion or Inrad roofing
filter equipped Omni 6 or Eagle and the Omni 7.

But yes, if this type of operating is not a concern, then the Omni 7
is an excellent choice, perhaps the best choice.

Barry N1EU