[TenTec] Omni VI+, VII, or Orion for next rig. Can't decide

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed Nov 9 21:20:10 PST 2011

OK... OK...  ENOUGH !!

Here is my challenge:

How many of you guys lost a contest because your radio had
up-conversion?   How many DX stations did you really lose out on for
that reason?  Did it really matter that much?  What did anyone do before
this came along?

We used all up-conversion radios to set a record in the MI QSO party,
using a couple of Omni VIIs and K3s.

We were 1st in MI, 1st in 8 Area, and 7th in the US IN THE CQ WW 160
CONTEST - competing from our Midwestern location with stations on the
East coast - which means it is just a little harder to get those
multiplier stations...  WITH AN OMNI VII.

But, no one complained of the radios.   I am with Rick... worry about
your antennas first.

All this fuss over a little statistic.  We will always have troubles
with loud stations next to quiet stations, but I doubt anyone has lost a
contest over this.

(He said... donning his flame retardant, Teflon suit...  ;-)

I think this whole thing is over blown.

Just MY take...