[TenTec] Omni VI+, VII, or Orion for next rig. Can't decide

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Nov 10 09:11:25 PST 2011

Nice post, Floyd.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Floyd Sense
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:40 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+, VII, or Orion for next rig. Can't decide

If I may jump in for a moment - I think you're very close to reality
here.  But, given a reasonably efficient set of antennas, the
overwhelming factor that hasn't been mentioned is the skill and
experience of the operator.  In the few contests  I've run in the past
10 years (including 160M CW contests), I had no problem scoring better
than others in the nearby chapter of a major contest club even though I
was using (prepare yourself) an Icom IC-756 Pro III.  Up-converting to
be sure, and lower 3rd order IMD numbers than all the K3s and Orions
that didn't do as well.  On 160, I had no problems hearing and working
long strings of weak Europeans using only a modest Beverage-on-ground.
Maybe owning the Orion II at that point would have garnered an
additional half dozen contacts, maybe not.

I ended up with an Orion II because it's perhaps the most flexible and
easy to operate of the top-of-the-line rigs.  The down-converting IF was
important because it allowed me to implement a top-notch panadapter
using off-the-shelf hardware and software.  I looked closely at the Omni
VII at a hamfest, and rejected it because of the relatively poor display
compared to the Orion II.

Interesting that Rob Sherwood also believes that the emphasis on 3rd
order IMD ( his receiver rankings are in that order) are overblown.
Last time I checked, his favorite rig was still the Icom IC-781, an
up-converting receiver that's nowhere near the top of the listing.  And,
the rig that was at the top of the listing (Yaesu FTDX-5000) has
probably the worst CW transmitter in recent history.  Even the lowest
TenTec will produce a cleaner signal, QSK or non-QSK.  But, many folks
will continue to buy rigs only because they're at the top of the
listing, just as many people buy their autos based on their 0-60 time.

Almost all radios today are far superior to those of the past, and
TenTecs are still among the very best - and for reasons not related to
their conversion scheme or Sherwood rankings.  The human factors
considerations in the rig design are very important, and TenTec gets
those right most of the time.

73, Floyd - K8AC
Orion II