[TenTec] Orion's break in

Robert Carroll w2wg at comcast.net
Sat Nov 19 15:44:57 PST 2011

The reason I originally asked the questions below is that a friend of mine
whom many of you probably know but I won't identify is a true blue high
speed QSK guy. He can copy 65 wpm without breaking a sweat and has copied
over 100wpm in years past.  He bought a 565 about the same time I and Barry
did.  He had always considered TenTec to have the best QSK in the business,
but he was disappointed with the QSK on his Orion, finding it got away from
inter-element QSK capability around 20 wpm and inter-character around 30WPM.
There were also notes in the original manual about the ability to key at
high speed with an external keyer being limited to a much lower speed than
with the internal keyer.  After fighting with the rig for a pretty long time
(there were those early software glitches, too) he sold it in favor of
something else which met his QSK needs better. So far, despite what the spec
said, I have found that my 565 does key perfectly with a Winkey at speeds of
at least 50 wpm.  I have noticed that while my 565 does easily handle
between-word switch to receive, I don't find that I hear very much between
characters and nothing within a character when I am running around 35 wpm or
higher.  This doesn't particularly bother me.  Whether this is a
characteristic of my particular 565 or is more widespread I don't know--but
I am interested. So if any of you do talk to Paul Clinton or others and can
get either verbal or written information, please share it with us. My
friend, by the way, eventually bought a K3 because of the QSK.  He says it
is the best he has ever encountered and will QSK at any speed he can run at.
He is one of those guys running high speed cw break-in rag chews just about
every morning.  Maybe you'll run into him if you listen on 40m cw.

73
Bob W2WG