[TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?

geoffrey mendelson geoffreymendelson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 07:39:20 PST 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 5:31 PM, John wrote:

> The tuner is a MFJ- 949e rated at 300 watts.  I have not been able to
> find the specs other than it is  built to handle 300 W and will
> resonate
> most antennas.  It has tuned antennas for me for a long time without a
> protest.  Where do you find the specifications for the tuners?  I keep
> looking but only find the most general of specs, 300 watts etc.

It's an "open secret" that MFJ tuners are rated at absolute maximum
specs. A 300 Watt tuner won't catch fire or explode if you pump 300
Watts of RF into it for a few seconds when connected to a 1:1 SWR
antenna.

Anything else, either a higher SWR, or longer use requires it
derating. For reasonable results consider it a 100 Watt PEP (SSB/CW)
or 25 Watts AM/FM/Digital tuner.

This has been documented over the years by reviewers, but I don't
think MFJ has ever said anything other than 300 Watts. Their website
does not.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(