[TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Nov 30 08:48:14 PST 2011

John, sorry we got so far off track on your thread; we're back!

Oops, I assumed you had an MFJ "Auto-Tuner".

None of the auto tuners, regardless of brand, will have as wide of a
matching range as most of the manual tuners.
MFJ does not publish the specs for matching range of that tuner but it's
going to be several thousand Ohms.

Heed Geoff's warning, as the impedance (SWR) gets higher, the maximum amount
of power you can run through it will degrade.
BTW, most, maybe ALL manufactures print that same warning in their manual,
even including the ones like Palstar.  It's true for all matchboxes,
regardless of make.

And for Geoff, let me bring you up to date.  MFJ finally came out and
admitted they were publishing their specs like they were rated in the old
days, meaning "Input Power on SSB".  So yes, a 300w rating is going to be
good for about 100w!  I can't remember where I read it but I believe it was
in the manual of one of their tuners I bought.  Of course you have to read
every page in the book before you find this message.  They certainly didn't
broadcast it!

John, to your specific needs, even though the 949E has a broader matching
range, if your goal is to match your G5RV, you will be OK with any of the
Automatic Tuners, built-in or external.

When you talk about working DX and being fussy close in, you did not specify
a band.
I assume you are talking about the high bands, not the low bands.
That is a result of propagation, not choice of antennas.  Changing antennas
or matchboxes won't help.
If you are experiencing this on 40 or 80m, then there's something rotten in
Denmark!

I'm not an expert on the G5RV, and it has been lightyears since I've read up
on it.  I'm sure the Internet would provide the specifics.  As I recall
(grain of salt), on 80 and 40 it still behaves pretty much like a dipole,
meaning it should favor directions off the side, but . . . ONLY IF high
enough in the air - which means about 66' for 40m and 132' for 80m.
You can probably reduce that to 50' and 100' and still find it to be true,
but when you have it lower than that, which you do, it tends to become more
omni-directional.  I said "a bit more", not that it is fully
omin-directional.  IF SOMEONE WANTS TO JUMP IN AND CORRECT ME HERE, I WON'T
BE OFFENDED.

73
Rick, DJ0IP