[TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Nov 30 18:18:45 PST 2011

Actually with just 2.5:1, your OM VII does not require a tuner.
Just pump the power into the coax and forget it.
The rig can take it.  That's how Ten-Tecs are built.

With your TS-590 you probably need a tuner.
Not sure but strongly believe the output power of the TS-590 will fold back
at that SWR level.
Try it and you will see.
That's how JA rigs are built.

73
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Richards
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:06 AM
To: Clayton Brantley; Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?

I agree with the general proposition it is better to adjust/tune at the
feed point, but I also believe one might clean up a relatively small
mismatch using the internal tuner.

For example, I have a nice Off Center Fed (OCF) dipole that has
wonderfully low SWR (i.e., below 1.4 : 1) on three bands, but is about
2.5 : 1  on 10 meters.  The internal tuner cleans that up nicely.   It
would not be cost effective to put an external tuner out on my 50 foot
mast just to clean up this little bit of mismatch on one band.

While this does not belie the general rule, it is one scenario under
which using the internal tuner makes sense.

Just MY take.