[TenTec] Interfacing Computers to Rigs

Phil Sussman psussman at pactor.com
Sun Oct 30 04:50:59 PDT 2011

My background is pretty deep on the electronics engineering side. In
reading over Jim's material, it was not hard for me to digest. However,
in my field, communications, I often encounter people who receive a
course on operating two way radios and upon conclusion are so befuddled
they can not operate the power switch, do not understand the scan
function, not can they change from one talk group zone to another.

As someone who has written "greatly simplified instructions" to a
class of highly trained individuals, I have discovered that about half
of those who read my (2/3 of a page of #12 type) work are 'lost.' It's
frustrating because it's written to a fifth grade level.

Some thoughts:

1. The simpler the better. If it's too long, it's too distracting.
2. Technical people are the most easily confused. (They think they know??)
3. Some people want the bottom line without any explanation and that's all.
4. Once it's working (even partially) some won't touch it for fear it will
    become inoperative by a simple button press for which they'll be blamed.

Oh well, it's a job! Thanks for reading!!

73 de Phil - N8PS

----