[TenTec] Solving PTO drift

Phil Chambley, Sr. k4dpk at comcast.net
Tue Sep 6 19:47:17 PDT 2011

Andrew....

It's important that you accurately identify and characterize your PTO's
behavior, to have a hope of correcting it.  The approaches to "drift" and
"jump" in frequency are completely different, and you will spend hours
chasing geese in the wrong direction.

Abrupt frequency changes are almost always mechanically induced.  Broken
solder joints, dirty contacts or connections, loose mounting screws and the
like come to mind.

Long, slow changes in frequency are almost always caused by thermal effects
on frequency-determining components.  Designers do their best to balance
these effects when the circuit is designed, but if they had ever succeeded,
we probably wouldn't have to worry about phase noise today.  ALL free
running oscillators drift to one extent or another.

The other day, a list member offered you one of my Stabilizers at a very
good price.  My advice would be to get that from him, and I will be happy to
provide whatever assistance you require in installation AFTER you repair
whatever mechanical problem you have.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk