[TenTec] Earth those feeders

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Tue Sep 13 14:12:52 PDT 2011

On 9/13/2011 11:39, art davis wrote:

> Does this mean that I am in violation of the NEC if I disconnect my coax and throw it out the window without grounding it?

		According to a local authority in my State, YES !
		Amazing how the Code reads where wire is somehow
		either attached to the home, or installed close enough
		to be considered part of the same.   I am not saying
		he is right, just that is what he says.   He claims the
		coax and antenna are all subject to code as they
		are closely enough associated with the home  (not sure
		if it is mere proximity or attachment or what is the
		trick, but he says no antenna is worthwhile until it
		is connected, and once connected, it becomes subject
		to the NEC, including gauge, insulation, grounding, etc.)

> Also, keep in mind that the NEC is written by the insurance companies.

		Hmmm...   Good point....   perhaps that is all the more
		reason to comply, so as not to void one's policy !

		Which brings up a another aspect... I suppose we should
		all examine our home owner insurance policies and see
		what is covered, and what is excluded.

I ordered a pamphlet from the Lightning Protection Institute,
Publication No.  LPI-175/2008 ed for like $12 and it has a very clear
statement of what must be done to protect a building from lightning --
oddly enough it was rather clear, and concise !   And it seems not all
that complicated as it boils the codes down to clear statements and
simple drawings.   It references various NEC sections.     www.lightning.org