[TenTec] Model 963 questions (what can happen when you ground loop the Astron output)

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Fri Sep 23 15:58:28 PDT 2011

Don and the list.  I can give definitive report of the results of
bonding the negative DC output post to the chassis of an Astron 35 Amp
and its box.

A retired power engineer helping in our club station did this bonding,
after some previous lightning events at our club station at Red Cross.
He and I installed a wide flat bronze flashing ground bus around the
shack, to which everything bonds, and this flashing goes to where there
is a conduit in the wall that leads outside to an in ground metal water
pipe to which the bus is bonded.  This faucet also has a braid to the
nearby radio tower leg and a driven earth rod, and solid bus wire no. 6
which is the telephone Demarc earth ground to the same rod at the tower
leg and follows the bus flashing back thru the wall conduit.  And then
runs up the inside wall to the telephone surge protector block.

As stated, the bonding of the 35 amp or any Astron negative of the
linear supply to the chassis, makes that ground common to the AC green
wire safety ground, which is chassis bonded in all Astrons we have been
supplied since 1981.  (There are four at Red Cross).

The main one, always on the station's VHF and HF radio, is the 35 amp
one.  Others are only plugged in on an as needed basis for extra
stations in drills.

We had a lightning hit to a power pole destroying the top 1/3 of the
pole, and the surge followed a guy wire of that pole to earth.  (pole
ground wire was open circuit or burned in two).  This was 100 feet from
the building where the shack and the 65 foot tower are located.

A branch strike either hit the tower, or came in power lines to the
building.

Anyway, there was current brought down the coax shields, and onto the
station common bus.  This current found a return through the ground loop
of the Astron, and thru the ground foil of a dual band radio, vaporizing
the DC negative trace to the radio connector, which was common with coax
shield and case ground.  The current going into the output of the Astron
negative, produced such a difference of voltage as to blow the MOVs on
the input AC, and took out the LM 317 regulator chip and some of the
output power pass transistors that are in parallel. Others were spared.
  We might have had power transistors and linear regulator IC survive,
had not the negative of the DC supply been tied to AC and chassis ground
forming a ground loop.

I have worked in EMC for years. I believe that a disk 0.01 mf ceramic
cap across the DC outputs would likely by pass the RF effect away from
the linear regulator.  But, we only run 100 watts.  Adding caps to the
MOV across the AC line would also help that path.  As I recall, I did
put a disk on the DC output inside the supply.  I am still trying to
convince the other ham that we should remove the ground loop.  BTW, our
coaxes are run inside the BX tower tied to the legs of each section, but
leave the tower at roof level as we have a roof penetration for all
feedlines and rotor cable to enter the Radio Room.  Better would have
been bringing the lines out of the tower at its base, which is still 2
feet above earth on a concrete base.  Going into the shack right there
was not possible due to telephone punch down blocks on the interior wall.

-Stuart
K5KVH