[TenTec] Model 963 questions (what can happen when you ground loop the Astron output)

Mike Hyder -N4NT- Mike_N4NT at charter.net
Fri Sep 23 20:30:49 PDT 2011

That is good information with regard to RF, I suppose.  If you examine the
older Astron RS-35 diagrams, you will notice that the negative post is not
connected to the chassis and that the negative post is connected directly to
the voltage regulator chip.  In repeater service static discharges from
nearby lightning can go directly into the regulator causing it to fail.  I
do not know best practices but can tell you that my older Astron RS-35 would
go out of regulation from RF entering the negative post and coupling
directly to that chip.  The result on SSB was considerable distortion.

Stuart, I am curious as to whether you and your friends modify newer Astrons
to remove the connection from the negative post to the chassis.

I never worked on any local repeaters here but understand they had regular
failures of the Astrons which their trustees attributed to nearby lightning
strokes.  They reported further that grounding the negative post to the
chassis eliminated the problem.  They are reliable guys but I do not know of
their experiences first-hand.

I am not recommending anything, just citing my experience with that supply
and relating the advice Astron gave to me.  You can argue theories but you
cannot argue with my personal experiences.

73, Mike N4NT