[TenTec] Using Aux power and "spare" functions on Argosy 525

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Apr 5 14:00:05 PDT 2012

Steve, don't place too much weight on the answer anyone of us gives you.
We may all be wrong.

All answers will be based on a "stock radio", but my experience over the
years is, these radios often have been modified. You have to get in there
and trace the wires going to these jacks in order to know just exactly what
you have.

The two RCA phono jacks marked +13v "were" originally wired to the 13v.
If you follow the schematic (on the first page in the downloaded handbook),
you will see that the two jacks should be wired together and then have a
single wire running to the Control Board 80781.

ON THAT BOARD.....there is a little 10A glass fuse.  Check to see if it is
blown or good.  Surely it is not blown, because this board generates the T
and R voltages, and the radio would not work if these were not working
correctly.

HOWEVER, THERE IS A SMALL INDUCTOR, "L1", and if this inductor is burned
out, you will not have 13 volts to the back panel jacks, but you will still
have 13v to the circuits creating the T and R voltage.  That might be the
culprit.  IF it is blown, it may be blown because its neighbor, C6 shorted
out.

With POWER OFF, do the following:

 - with a volt meter, measure the voltage at the junction of L1 and C6.  (C6
is a 1000 MF, 16v electrolyt).  Be absolutely sure there is no DC voltage at
that junction.  If there is voltage on it (which will rapidly deplete with
the meter across it, then there must also be 13v available for the back
panel jacks.

 -then switch to Ohms measurements and measure across L1.  It should read
zero ohms.

 - Next, place the Ohms meter in x100 scale and measure across C6 (to
ground).  Then reverse the leads and measure across C6 again.  In one of the
directions the meter should briefly jump up, and then slowly fall back off.
IF IT MEASURES ZERO OHMS (or close), it is shorted out and probably the
reason it blew L1.

If you don't have 13v on the back panel, but the wire going to the control
board is still in place, then the problem is going to be in the 3 things I
described above, fuse, L1, or C6.

GL and have fun!

73
Rick, DJ0IP