[TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Thu Jan 26 07:57:12 PST 2012

If you look at the technical data for a Belden solid dielectric RG58
(say 8259) and compare it with a foam dielectric RG58 (say 7807) you'll
see that the centre conductors are significantly different diameter:
0.035" vs 0.044" - they have to be to achieve the same 50 Ohm
characteristic impedance with different dielectric materials.

The difference in loss is almost totally down to the smaller conductor
diameter, not to differences in dielectric loss.

73,
Steve G3TXQ