[TenTec] My First Ten-Tec - Marketing

GARY HUBER glhuber at msn.com
Wed Jul 4 19:03:04 PDT 2012

It seems to me that TenTec radios are sold by satisfied customers more than
anything else. To that end TenTec has been using the Ambassador program. I
don't know how well the Ambassador program has worked but I've received
credit for three to five (I just haven't kept track) OMNI-VIIs over the past
two years and probably helped them sell half a dozen OMNI-VI+ during the
time I had mine. See http://www.tentec.com/pages/Become-an-Ambassador.html

But you are correct, the factory-direct only sales marketing puts TenTec at
a disadvantage as does Asian electronic manufacturers marketing their
government subsidized products at low cost in the US. And many HAMs are
cheap, buying the lowest cost radio they can get by with.

If you add the cost all my purchases of TenTec equipment over thirty years,
it may total no more than $15k or $500 average per year. I doubt that I'm an
average TenTec owner, some have a lot more and some have a lot less than the
six TT transceivers and Titan 425 I've purchased but $500 gross per year per
customer? Amateur Radio equipment is a very niche market, with a very small
profit margin for a relatively small number of customers (i.e. $500 gross
per customer / year), would not begin to justify a major marketing
expenditure.  I doubt that today, any US manufacturer can stay in business
solely selling product in the Amateur market but rather they must diversify
without loosing sight of a small but discriminating and demanding group like
TenTec radio users.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M
http://www.csm-gh.com/AB9M.htm