[TenTec] FS--N4YG DDS VFO Conversion Kit for Corsair II and Others--Brand New & Unused

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Mon Jul 9 09:17:14 PDT 2012

Perhaps I could comment:

I can't claim to have made exhaustive measurements. What I _have_ done
is fit the DDS to one of my remote VFOs so that I can A/B switch
instantly between the original internal PTO and the DDS. What I found
was that the DDS has noticeably less close-in noise than the PTO. If I
injected a large signal - say -33dBm - and tuned it just outside the Rx
passband, I heard more noise when switched to the PTO than when switched
to the DDS.

On the other hand the DDS _does_ have in-band spurs - typically -80dBc -
which the output filter can do nothing about. But I've been surprised
how seldom those spurs actually seem to cause a problem in practice -
maybe because most of them shift frequency rapidly with just slight
shifts of tuning, or maybe because you're very unlucky if you get a
station 70dB stronger than the one you're trying to listen to that also
happens to be right at a spur frequency.

Having the DDS unit in the remote VFO, and the original PTO in the
Corsair, gives me the flexibility to switch back to the PTO should I
ever need to for improved performance; but so far I have never needed to.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the DDS output filter is not
particularly "tight", and I deliberately didn't limit the upper
frequency of the DDS. In fact you can pretty much continue tuning until
the front-end Corsair filter cuts off signals; that over-run is very
useful on 10m where you can run up well into the next band segment
without needing to operate the band switch.

73,
Steve G3TXQ