[TenTec] Paragon Problem gets very odd

Ben Hall kd5byb at kd5byb.net
Sat Jul 14 10:43:22 PDT 2012

Morning all,

An update.  So I got the power amp out of the Paragon, took it all
apart, and inspected it.  I found no obvious damage - no swollen caps,
no burn marks, etc...

I did remove C25 (which was a 33uF, 35V, 105 deg C unit) and couldn't
find a replacement in my supply.  C25 tested fine.  I ran it up to
nearly 30 VDC and it did not short, did not leak, etc...

But I could find nothing wrong, so I put it back together minus C25.
With just the power amp on the bench, I hooked up 13.8VDC to the red lead.

Everything was fine.  No power draw.  (insert head scratching here)

So I put it back into the radio, hook up the RF output.  Apply power.
No power draw on the red wire into the power amp.

So I reattached the blue "11" plug and repeat.  No power draw.

So I reattached the RF Input and repeat.  No power draw.

So at this point, everything is hooked up minus the red power wire.  So
I resolder it to the power board and apply power to the radio.

It POWERS UP FINE.  Hooked it up to the dummy load, hooked up my mic,
and it makes output power just fine.  Voice peaks into the dummy load
easily hit nearly 100W.

SoooOOOOooo!  I am now totally confused as to what's going on.  Best I
can figure was maybe a loose connection from the bias board to the power
amp?  VERY ODD.

I am ordering some replacement caps from Mouser - will replace that 33uF
and the 10uF ones with 50VDC, 105 deg C replacements...

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb