[TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill

John jh.graves at verizon.net
Thu Jul 19 16:05:16 PDT 2012

Stuart,

Funny you should mention Bandpass filters at FD.   The NSRA FD
Committee, with a little urging from a few members pointed out that the
the Radio Club membership on average and in fact was not getting any
younger.  We used to erect 3 -4 40 ft towers and a couple of 50 ft masts
for field day.  It was pointed out that the ages were going up and the
number of participants was getting fewer.  After some discussion
regarding what the expectations for FD were and how that might be
accomplished, the Group elected to purchase a tri-band splitter and if
it worked, then potentially buy commercial bandpass filters to replace
ones that had been made for FD by members a while ago.

In spite of wind, rain, and occasional complications, FD was good this
year.  The rabbit bit us   again and it took us almost 2 hours to find a
open jumper (where else) at the top of the tower. I am happy to report
that although operation options had to be changed, that it did work well
and we will either make or purchase a set of bandpass filters to
increase isolation through the splitter.  The tower held an A4 and the
50 mast held both 80 and 40 M inverted V antennas.

The change in operation was that we no longer had multiple mode choices
across the bands  but had antennas  for each of the 5 bands and the
operators (2 CW & 1 phone) chose the mode.  It worked pretty well and I
suspect that we will replicate that setup next year.

John / WA1JG