[TenTec] Field Day Drill

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Fri Jun 29 17:17:33 PDT 2012

On 6/28/2012 8:54 PM, Kevin Anderson wrote:

> To do so, this means I'm calling CQ.  In fact, I am only comfortable (and enjoy) operating in a contest if I can get a frequency and call CQ.  If I have to operate only in search and pounce mode, then I don't like to operate.  I don't know why, but when I call CQ, I have all the confidence in the world and seem to be able to pick out calls and exchanges just fine.  But when I operate S&P, for some reason I can't, and seem to second guess myself all the time; my confidence, and my rate, goes into the toilet, and I don't enjoy the contest at all.  Strange, but that is how I am.

	You are not alone.  I know other ops who feel
	the same way.

	One time, my young bride was in the shack and
	listening to a pileup trying to contact an
	exotic DX station.  A fellow I know from Arizona
	put out his call, at first with enthusiasm and
	in an upbeat tone.  Then again, but without
	the upbeat tone.  After that, again, but now
	without the enthusiasm.  A bit later, again,
	but with a hint of sarcasm.  Then, again with
	a clear tone of annoyance, and finally with
	definite disgust.

	I asked him about it a couple of days later when
	we both checked into a friendly SSB net, and he
	said he HATES trying to bust a pileup.  He
	admitted he quickly gets impatient, to the point
	of aggravation, if he does not get through on
	the first or second call.

	So... for that reason, he, too, would rather
	call CQ than answer CQ.

	My bride giggled at his obvious progression
	from hopefulness to frustration, and she said
	she was on his side.

	While I like the "thrill of the hunt" - I also
	prefer holding a frequency and calling CQ.
	I can take whatever call I want, and I don't
	have to fight with other guys to make the contact.
	During the recent Museum Ship Weekend, which is
	not a contest, I tried to take the mobile,
	portable and QRP stations first as I know how
	much harder it is for them to fight through the
	louder stations, and I figure the louder stations
	will easy to grab at any time.  I am often amazed
	at how well a guy can do with only 5 or 10 watts
	and a small, portable antenna.  Some of the low
	power, portable crowd have a LOT of pluck.

  One of my joys at operating at Field Day is that I usually get to use
headphones with attached boom microphones and foot switch - a setup that
I have yet to afford at home -

	Please feel free to contact me off list
	or on,  as you deem most appropriate, to
	discuss affordable headset solutions. I
	am a headset junkie  (heck... everybody
	needs a vice of some sort... although I
	admit I have several.)   It is very easy
	and affordable to add a good headset to the
	rig without breaking the bank.  I have headsets
	ranging from $10 to $300 and keep up on the
	market trends and I think I could help you
	achieve a good result for the price of a
	couple of pizzas.  (I don't say pizza and
	beer, because I don't advocate giving up
	the beer, even for a good cause ...)

	I would be glad to make some suggestions
	if you like.

,./