[TenTec] Top receivers

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Mon May 14 12:27:20 PDT 2012

Amen, JB.

	Good Operating Practices Dept.     Memo No. 29887

Unfortunately, there are very few good resources with instructions on
HOW TO OPERATE PROPERLY.   I am still a relatively new ham, and I would
love to read clear, reliable descriptions of how to use the equipment
properly,  how to conduct a QSO, and the like.   AC6V had a nice
tutorial on DXing practices, and another one on FM repeater usage, but
that is about all I have seen.  The ARRL books, such as the ARRL
Operating Handbook mostly discuss equipment needed, but hardly discuss
operating protocol or good manners.   I try to listen to what others are
doing, but there are so many bad examples these days it is difficult to
catch on to the best practices.   I have worked the famous ON4UN - and I
know he keeps a little list of rude operators he won't work - if you
keep calling over his QSO, he simply announces he won't work caller
XX8YY.  Kinda fun to hear him do that.

I am open to examining any such resources you guy throw my way.  The
best ones explain why a certain knob or feature works and when you wanna
employ it.  I have a directory on my computer just for articles on good
operating practices.