[TenTec] Orion Problem

John T. Fleming john at w3gqj.net
Wed Nov 14 13:27:07 EST 2012

Barry,

I seemed to have birdies on 75 meters and what I thought was kinda like
digital noise. I noticed some of the digital noise disappeared when I got
rid of Prism, Century Link's digital TV which comes down the copper phone
line. But I still had some noise. I am in a new house with all new
appliances and my antenna is on the roof. Each appliance has its own
computer. Our wiring is in the attic. In addition, The Villages is a golf
cart community with about 90,000 retirees and 50,000 golf carts. The
Villages covers 34 square miles. The electric cart can make a lot of noise
then they pass. So I chocked it up to the environment. After replacing the
power distribution board, the ambient noise dropped to about an S-3 on the
long wire antenna on the roof. I generally use my Force 12 flag pole on 75
meters at night time because our nice plasma TV is noisy. I am surprised how
well the Force 12 hears on 75 meters. I use the RX input for the Force 12.

Some of this may be psychological because it is so nice to have the rig
working well. Now that the rig does not reboot about 5 or six times before
it stays on is definitely a comfort feeling.

The electrolytic caps were replaced last July. Evidently a regulator was
going west.

73,
John