[TenTec] Orion II CAT Problem

Barry LaZar k3ndm at comcast.net
Sun Nov 25 16:15:44 EST 2012

All,
     Here is a little feedback on my problem with my Orion II losing CAT
ability. I noticed the problem while attempting to use Hamradio Deluxe,
a program that I have been using for a long time. I could connect, on
another port, to my KX3, but could not obtain the frequency on the O II.

     As I mentioned in some earlier notes I did the usual cable changes
and did some resets. I was pointed to a hard reset. Nothing external
seemed to work. I was dreading having to move the radio to get inside.

     I was going over this with another ham buddy who also has an O II,
and he told me that he had developed the same problem. He suggest that I
let HRD time out and try to connect using the Jupiter definition. That
didn't work, but defining the port as an Eagle did. However, this whole
thing was a bit tenuous.

     He popped over with a Keyspan US-19HS USB to serial adapter. I
installed the driver and started out on the defined port using the Orion
definition. That work right off. Apparently, there was nothing wrong
with the radio, like needing to do some reseating. The problem appears
to be an incompatibility that an update to my operating system, Windows
7/64, has caused. Basically, there is a need to be very careful with
which USB to serial adapters you choose. Not all play nice with Windows
7 or 64 bit operating systems.

      Thanks to all for the suggestions that were passed to me. There
seems to be some serious people on this reflector.

73,
Barry
K3NDM