[TenTec] Resurrecting Hercules 444 amp

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Oct 18 16:07:16 EDT 2012

On 10/18/2012 12:28 PM, Mike Bryce wrote:
> Could also be bad/loose/fubar band filters/switch

I was also going to suggest this.

There's another issue with the power supply for this amp -- voltage
regulation goes high with temperature. Ten Tec never got around to
fixing it because the discontinued device hit them very early in the
product cycle. My band-aid for it was to add a muffin fan to the power
supply.

The 444 is a very nice amp, very well protected, and would have been a
winning product if Motorola hadn't pulled the rug out from under them.
The one I bought used came from a guy who used it every night on 75 SSB
for a lot of years, and it was in great shape.  He ran it on 120V, and I
switched it to 240V, and the improved voltage regulation triggered the
temperature issue, but the amp ran great. I sold it several years ago
because I'd acquired three Titans and a Herc II. :)

73, Jim K9YC