[TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Apr 26 14:04:04 EDT 2013

On 4/26/2013 10:36 AM, GARY HUBER wrote:
> Great discussion site. Note this piece applies to ALL aluminum foil
> and copper braid construction shielded coaxial cables not just LMR-400.

It's also important to realize that loss in coax below about 500 MHz is
due ONLY to copper losses (I squaredR). The only effect of the
dielectric is to allow a larger diameter center conductor for a given
shield diameter (unless, of course, the dielectric contains water).

Several years ago, I put together a tutorial on coax for use on the HF
bands in the form of a Q&A. It includes considerable discussion of
fundamental concepts, a table listing various good coax cables with
their loss characteristics, and lots of other useful information.

http://k9yc.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf

73, Jim K9YC