[TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Apr 26 15:16:34 EDT 2013

On 4/26/2013 11:11 AM, Carl Moreschi wrote:
> Jim, if this were true the loss for RG8 for 28 mhz would be the same
> as 14 mhz.  But they are not the same.  28 mhz is about twice the loss
> as 14 mhz.
>
> What am I missing here?

Skin effect.  The resistance in the equation is the resistance at the
frequency of interest, which  is a multiple of the DC resistance, and
follows well known equations.  The primary factor causing bigger coax to
have less loss is the o.d. of the shield. The larger diameter center
also helps. We LOOK for coax with low DCR, because that combines with
skin effect to determine the resistance at the frequency of interest.

73, Jim K9YC