[TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

John jh.graves at verizon.net
Sat Aug 3 18:01:31 EDT 2013

I hope this does not add to the confusion too much. However...

  Radials really only apply to quarter-wave verticals.  The reason is
that the radials  allow the field to act as though is is a half wave
antenna, although the bottom half is virtual.  A half-wave vertical only
requires a ground.  There is no question that at 40 meters and below, it
is not easy to put up a a half-wave vertical and so, depending on how
the vertical is constructed, and which bands are covered, radials may be
needed to create or maintain the desired pattern.  Although I have not
seem this, it would seem to me that for multi-band verticals, there
should be some isolation of the radials in order to maintain the desired
pattern for the upper bands.

John  /  WA1JG