[TenTec] 3 db loss

GARY HUBER glhuber at msn.com
Sat Aug 3 18:16:19 EDT 2013

Paul, there's a lot of people who do NOT understand 3 dB = 2X, 6 dB = 4X, 10
dB= 10X, 20 dB = 100X, 30 dB = 1000X;  where m= milli-Watt and W = Watt 30
dBm = 1 Watt and 30 dBW = 1000 Watts. Conversely -3 dB is one half and -6 db
is one quarter. etc.

If you double the power on 160, it makes a big difference at a distance, but
not much difference locally. Locally you can generally follow power increase
with a receiver S-meter if it follows the 6 dB per S-unit rule, at least it
works that way with our local 160 AM net.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M