[TenTec] ufer ground?

GARY HUBER glhuber at msn.com
Mon Aug 12 10:03:09 EDT 2013

The significant requirement is that the rebar sections are bonded together
using using an exothermic process (welded). If the rebar (cage in tower
base) is just tied together (with wire) there may be enough resistance
between rebar sections when dissipating a lightning strike to cause heating
and bursting of concrete. If you do NOT know if the rebar is welded you may
want to reconsider your grounding options.

My previous work place used a Ufer ground mat (basement floor rebar of all
buildings of the complex) bonded to building steel (and pilings) with copper
grounding bars bonded to them. An external ground ring with ground rods was
bonded to each vertical building steel member, with air terminals (on each
building roof) bonded to building steel. Copper grounding bars in 14th story
equipment room were connected to the ground mat with a 250 foot run of a
pair of 400 MCM cables. The electrical service neutral and mechanical ground
were also referenced to the ground mat.  When you have radio antennas at
1027 feet AMSL,  (197 feet AGL) and main frame computers in the same
complex,  you don't want a strike to take everything off line.

YMMV

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M