[TenTec] Using Non-TT Supply

John Farler k4avx1 at windstream.net
Tue Aug 27 16:21:51 EDT 2013

My supply for the TT Omni V or VI has problems.  When I tune up, even to
a dummy load,
the pilots in the radio dim and output is not where it should be on 40
meters and up.
Current is less than 20 A, but I haven't checked the voltage drop yet.

My question is can I use a non-TT supply with the Omni VI safely?  I
remember someone
on the list saying TT stopped using the original type of power supply
like the one with
the old Triton which kicks of at a certain current, but I can't remember
which radio it
is that doesn't depend on the "circuit breaker" type of protection.

I have several non-TT supplies that will provide the current and more -
is it safe to use
them with the Omni V, VI??

I'm guessing the filters in the power supply have gone bad...actually it
has 3 in parallel.
How can I check for one bad one, or can I?

Thanks, and I hope my post is not too confusing....

John, K4AVX
k4avx1 at windstream.net