[TenTec] Using Non-TT Supply

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Tue Aug 27 16:49:09 EDT 2013

Hi John,

The Omni V still required a circuit breaker.
The paragraph describing power requirements states "It is recommended that
the Model 1140 Circuit Breaker be installed in series with the +13.8 volt
supply line.   The circuit breaker will function as both an external on/off
switch and an over-current protection device for the OMNI V."

Looking at the OMNI V, it is a bit more vague.
At one place it says "Any source of well filtered and regulated DC power may
be used. Etc."  No mention of circuit breaker.  However there is a short
paragraph stating "If a storage battery is used, our Model 1140 circuit
breaker/power switch is recommended."  No further comments.  A bit vague.
It goes on to tell you when operating with a high SWR, "that you should
adjust the RF "PWR" control to a collector (Ic) current not to exceed 20A."
Ten-Tec power supplies do this automatically.  Sounds like they don't rely
on the power supply anymore for protection.

Good luck troubleshooting the problem.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of John Farler
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:22 PM
To: tentec at contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Using Non-TT Supply

My supply for the TT Omni V or VI has problems.  When I tune up, even to a
dummy load, the pilots in the radio dim and output is not where it should be
on 40 meters and up.
Current is less than 20 A, but I haven't checked the voltage drop yet.

My question is can I use a non-TT supply with the Omni VI safely?  I
remember someone on the list saying TT stopped using the original type of
power supply like the one with the old Triton which kicks of at a certain
current, but I can't remember which radio it is that doesn't depend on the
"circuit breaker" type of protection.

I have several non-TT supplies that will provide the current and more - is
it safe to use them with the Omni V, VI??

I'm guessing the filters in the power supply have gone bad...actually it has
3 in parallel.
How can I check for one bad one, or can I?

Thanks, and I hope my post is not too confusing....

John, K4AVX
k4avx1 at windstream.net