[TenTec] Yamaha CM500 headset and Orion II

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Mon Dec 16 05:37:52 EST 2013

I use the circuit that is discussed and pictured with schematic on
page 67 of the November QST.   The mic capsule should be (that is I am
guessing from experience with these things) capable of taking somewhere
between 2 and 15 volts.  This is a hugely typical value for these little
electret mic capsules.

YOU WANT...  BIAS VOLTAGE that these use is between 2 and 15v  -
typically a sound card produces about 5 volts.

YOOU DO NOT WANT  PHANTOM VOLTAGE OF 48 V.

Check the White Papers on the Shure web site, www.Shure.com
and it will explain the difference.

I have tried the method described on Page 67 of the Nov. QST with
success. Many others have told me this works well.

I am BIASED... because I wrote the piece in QST Magazine.