[TenTec] Yamaha CM500 headset and Orion II

Sat Dec 21 12:25:02 EST 2013

In most cases, the MIC Gain is usually located electrically after one to two
analog stages of amplification.   Should the first or second analog stage be
driven into clipping or distortion, adjustment of the MIC Gain, being after
the first stage, will have no effect on any clipping or distortion occurring
in the first stage.

Typical mike input circuits are designed for low noise and high gain with
acceptable input signal levels between -70 dBv and -30 dBv.  If the mike of
choice is one that has a high output level, and used with a radio lacking an
input gain control, the first or second stage can be overdriven.  For a
radio lacking an input level control, not to be confused with the MIC Gain
control,  but that is one which is pre the first stage, then some value of
attenuation must be employed to prevent overdrive of the first stage.

We may be talking semantics with regard to terminology.  The mike preamp
gain is clearly a separate control from the front panel MIC Gain function.
In the Omni VII, the hardware gain or preamp gain is under the bottom, left
front of the radio.  The Eagle and the Argonaut VI hardware gain controls
are on the side and accessed through a small hole.  In general, most Tentec
radios come from the factory with the hardware gain set for maximum gain.
This is to accommodate lower output level mikes such as the 707.   For
higher output mikes, in many to most cases, adjustment to reduce the
hardware gain is required of the user.   This depends largely on the type
mike and the mike technique employed by the user.

As a general guideline, I suggest a MIC Gain value to be operated in the 35%
to 50% range.  If yours is operating 30% or lower, I urge you to reduce the
hardware mike gain such as to allow normal ALC LED actions with a higher
value of DSP or MIC Gain value.

73
Bob, K4TAX