[TenTec] Amp Keying w.o. hot switching

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Mon Dec 16 14:18:52 EST 2013

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic recently on all of the
reflectors.

I will copy all three groups with this, and I apologize to those of you who
receive it three times.

I have created a web page on this topic, show pictures of three typical
types of T/R relays you may find inside an amplifier.

BTW, “T/R” means Transmit/Receive.  It is the relay inside the amp that
bypasses the amp in RX mode, connecting the antenna directly to the
transceiver.

I point out the different sequential timings of the Orion, OM7, and Eagle.

I also explain why I think TEN-TEC should extend these parameters of them on
all three models.

I suggest several different ways of addressing this problem.

Which method will work best for each of us depends on several things:

¨      Which amplifier we have and what kind of relay technology it has

¨      Whether we want full-QSK or simply clean (not hot) switching

¨      Which transceiver we have

In some cases additional hardware is required.

I show a couple of products that will work and I contrast them.

GUYS, I have put this together quickly, mostly from memory.

I am not the sharpest tack in the pack.

Indeed most of my friends are a lot sharper than me, but with their help, my
web site keeps getting better.

PLEASE SHARE FEEDBACK with me, especially corrections!

TNX.

73

Rick, DJ0IP