[TenTec] [Flexradio] Receiving antennas

hmattcole at juno.com hmattcole at juno.com
Sat Dec 21 19:38:11 EST 2013

Dave,

I have some comments on the Pixel.  It is an excellent receive antenna under certain
band conditions.
Pros:

First,  it performs excellent on the AM commercial radio band.  It cuts out all buzzing
sounds when listen to 540-1700
Second.  If you have an interfering station it will notch out the offending signal with
30 db.rejection.
Third,  If you have extreme power line noise in your neighbor hood or industrial
noise interference, it works very well to notch out noise.
Fourth, It works well on Plasma TV interference noise or electric fence noise.
Fifth.  It works best on 40,89,160.  These are usually noisy bands The higher bands
are usually very quiet-low noise floor (20-10 meters)

Cons:

If you have a quiet noise floor and not much noise at your location it will not serve
you very well.  You will loose 18db of receiving gain.  That is 3 S units worth of
signal---even with the 27db preamp on the unit.

My problem with the unit was that I had no interference, no unusual noise at my
house.  What I was trying  to do with the Pixel was to lower my noise floor which was
already low and bring in a very weak signal.  That did NOT work for me.  It lowered
the signal by 3 S units and by the time it did that it did not help me receive that
very weak station that I was trying to pull out.  By reducing my RF gain I was
accomplishing the same effect.

Just wanted to share my experience with the PRO-1b loop and hope it may be
of some help to you

Good luck

Matthew-KJ4TN