[TenTec] receivers: paragon vs. corsair II

GARY HUBER glhuber at msn.com
Mon Feb 25 12:58:32 EST 2013

Mike,

On a quiet band you can't ear ball the difference on receive or at least I
couldn't when I had a Paragon for operating on MARS frequencies.  On a
number of occasions I ran both the Paragon and the Corsair-II from the same
antenna using the AUX Antenna / Aux Receiver connections.  As a DXer the
only time I could hear a difference would be when there was a weak DX
station and big pile-up with many S-nine plus 30 dB signals just 1-2 kHz up,
and the Corsair-II was a couple S units quieter, hearing the weak station
not heard by the Paragon.  All this from memories of the Paragon sold ten or
twelve years ago because of PLL lock and board grounding problems. The
Corsair-II (and remote VFO) on the other hand are still with me, and are
used daily.  The Corsair-II has the best receiver Ten-Tec ever built; AZNAC
circuit, PTO, very quiet compared to PLL and DSP radios when there are close
in large signals adjacent to the weak S-0 to S-1 signal of interest.

Others may have a different opinion but if you are primarily interested in
Amateur Frequencies, its CORSAIR-II hands down. For MARS / Government /
General Coverage, use a Paragon!

My other radio is an OMNI-VII.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M