[TenTec] Orion 2 Situation

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Jul 9 20:21:54 EDT 2013

On 7/9/2013 5:03 PM, Email Service wrote:
> it does not really bother me that the O2 has become obsolete.

I think you're reading FAR too much into Ten Tec's announcement by
calling the O2 "obsolete."  It would be obsolete it if had been replaced
by a far superior model, or if it could not be repaired. As to that
second condition, we all know enough about Ten Tec to know that it will
be repairable for a LONG time.

As to the first condition -- I don't consider myself an authority on the
overall quality of current ham rigs, but from a study of ARRL and
Sherwood product reviews, and conversations with guys who are both first
rate operators and very good engineers,  the only radio I'd firmly put
in a class with an O2 is a loaded K3/P3.  Those Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom big
boats are mondo expensive and they sure LOOK impressive, but I know VERY
few top contesters or DXers who use them, and I know some who have owned
them and sold them.

73, Jim K9YC