[TenTec] Orion 2 Situation

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Jul 10 01:51:43 EDT 2013

ALL of the FT1000s in our club have been fixed long ago.
Can't team-contest with them unless you deploy Tom's mod.

Some years back we broke the all time world records ins CQWW SSB and CW
using TS-850s. (1999).
It was our club's "standard radio".  That way all operators of the team are
already familiar with the radios.
Everyone had one (even me - but I hated it).

If you are contesting on a shoestring budget, it's probably still the best
way to go.  They are very cheap now.

Now days the K3 is the only way to go for team contesting.  Even some of our
guys who bought them a few years ago and sold them, are starting to buy them
again.  Elecraft has continuously improved them.

We tried hard to get Ten-Tec to support our dx-expeditions but no luck.
The manager of the German Ten-Tec distributor organized the 2008 dx-pedition
to Ducie Island (VP8DX).
After Ten-Tec turned him down, he reluctantly was sponsored by Elecraft.
5 years later, Elecraft owns that market.

73
Rick, DJ0IP