[TenTec] ORION ll

Robert Mcgraw rmcgraw at blomand.net
Fri Jun 21 17:36:33 EDT 2013

I think you'd like the sound of the 709 or the 707 as used with that
radio.   They are different styles of mikes and you may have a preference
in that regard.   The internal speech processor when used is quite
effective on adding punch and raising the average PEP power.

While I do have several (4) of the B-1 mikes, the required phantom power
source along with the extra cables and such does tend to be prone to RFI
issues.  The fact this mike has a very wide frequency response doesn't
make things any better.   Also, close talking this mike I find is very
prone to producing breath pops, huffs on H's and such.  The B-1's are
truly better for distance miking such as a choir.   This may be the
source of distorted audio or wide sounding audio that is being described.
 To my ears the over driven stage or RFI in the audio does sound
different, but to some they may sound or be described as the same.  Wide
could be they term they use.

The Orion II does have a significant learning curve.  It takes patience,
time and experience to milk the really outstanding performance out of the
box.  As to the transmit audio being "wide" that clearly is controllable
by the low end roll-off and the transmit bandwidth both accessible via
the menus.  Personally, I am not a fan of most internal EQ systems
employed in most radios.  I much prefer the right mike and correct mike
technique to get the sound I desire.

73
Bob, K4TAX