[TenTec] ORION ll

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Jun 22 03:38:42 EDT 2013

Hold your horses Rick... !

This is unacceptable on the 60m band where FCC regulations limit the maximum
transmitted bandwidth to 2.8 kHz.
(see: http://www.arrl.org/60-meter-faq/ )

This is unacceptable in Region 1 on all shortwave bands except 10m, because
we are limited to 2.8 kHz on ALL shortwave bands except 10m.

In light of the above, I find it curious that most of the really wide
signals on the bands are coming out of Europe.
However they are almost all EAST of here.

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: TenTec [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Rick W
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2013 7:28 AM
To: Ten-Tec Reflector
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION ll

Minor correction.  With a TX BW of 2800 and a roll off of 150 the top end is
actually at 2950 Hz.  I think that too would be quite acceptable.

73,
Rick
VE7TK

Website: http://www.ve7tk.com

To:"Bob Gibson" <w5rg at yahoo.com>,	"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment"
<tentec at contesting.com>
From:"Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw at Blomand.net>

Date:Fri, 21 Jun 2013 23:20:41 -0500

I basically agree with James, "what's wide?". How was it determined that
it was wide? If the TX BW is 2800 Hz and the TX Low End Roll-off is 150
Hz then the transmitted bandwidth is 2650 Hz. In general that is will
within the technical acceptable standards for SSB bandwidth.Could it be that
the Orion II audio along with the B-1 mike and the VX-2000 is really very
clean and thus "sounds" wide? Could be. Many radios on the bands today along
with the hosts of mikes and applications being used do not have really clean
audio. One thing I've enjoyed about Tentec radios, they have great audio,
both on receive and transmit.Things that make audio sound wide could be
excessive ALC action meaning the MIC audio level is too high and the ALC is
very active. Another thing is a bit of RF getting into the audio that causes
a splatter sounding audio while in actuality the transmitted bandwidth is
not wider than the definition of the filter system, low end and  TX BW
settings.Do head for the manual and the adjustments for the TX Low frequency
roll-off and the TX SSB BW values. To keep things simple, I would start with
a mike connected direct to the MIC input and not use anything else until one
is satisfied all is working correctly. Then add in the AUX equipment
and observe the results.
73
Bob, K4TAX