[TenTec] Amplifier Question

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Wed Jun 26 18:06:25 EDT 2013

On 6/26/2013 7:39 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> Basic station set-up:
>
> The Omni VII output is connected direct to the amp input.  Also two QSK
> cables, RCA to RCA, are connected between the amp and transceiver.

	Er ... point taken, but you left out my
	home brew two-transceiver A/B switch which
	switches the mic, headphones, speakers, PTT,
	code key,  and amp key lines between the to main
	transceivers.  I am so darned pleased with it
	(at least I am now that I fixed the wiring error
	on the mic line...oops!)

	But I get your drift.

> output of the amp goes to the input of a Diawa CN-801HP.

	OK.    I recently read your review of that
	product on eHam.net and was curious if you still
	felt the same about it.  Apparently you do.

Power for the
> CN-801HP is obtained via a separate cable connected to the +12V on the
> Omni VII.

	Hmmm... I will have to find or make a splitter
	cable, and check the amperage, etc.,  as I use
	the .5 amp accessory power output on the rear
	panel to power a little fan I built to cool the
	heat sink fins.  This saved me $40 on cost of
	buying the official TT fan accessory - in good
	old cheap ham tradition...

	I have one large linear power supply just for
	the transceivers and a separate same size linear
	supply just for accessories.  Like money, sex,
	and good bourbon... one can never have too much
	power in the shack.

The output of the CN-801HP goes to the input of the 238 tuner
> using a choke balun, Wireman #8232,  between the output of the Diawa and
> the input to the tuner.

	Hmmm.... I did not see this one coming...

	I already have a choke on the patch cable running
	from the output of the tuner to the external
	remote coax switch.   Is this not the best
	place for it - should I move it between the
	amp/meter and the tuner?    Or can it stay where
	it is "close enough."

	I made my choke from a series of formula 31 clamp
	on ferrite beads, secured with shrink tubing,
	after reading articles by our friend Jim B, K9YC,
	and W8JI - and after corresponding with balun
	enthusiast, Rick, DJ0IP last year.  I patterned
	mine after the ones sold by Palomar Engineers and
	DX-Engineering, among others.

	You think it would be better ahead of, instead
	of after the tuner?

All other coax jumpers are RG-8X.

	My patch cables are all RG-213 (although one
	or two might be LMR-400 UF.)   I figure these
	are equivalent to RG-8.   N'est ce pas?

THANKS FOR THE RECOMMENDATIONS.